[quote=txcaregiver]The insurance companies have definitely crafted their wording well. Our company will pay for the removal of teeth BEFORE radiation and they will replace teeth that have FALLEN out because of the radiation with dentures. They do not cover implants. When my husband was diagnosed, we had quite of lot of dental work completed in preparation, but I can't imagine that anybody would pull ALL of their teeth before radiation. His teeth are deteriorating. Some have fallen out, but most have simply broken off. The oral surgeon had to extract the teeth and the insurance company doesn't pay for extractions. [/quote]

My teeth started breaking off at the gums so I had crowns put on. I spent over $18,000 mp and fought with insurance for 3 years. Eventually they agreed and paid some because the dentist was out of network. There is a dentist in Garland that takes a OT of insurance and does pre-treatment consults for oral cancer patients. He has had success. Don't know what part of Texas you are in though.

Oddly, it took almost the same time to get some extracts paid for and we had to show that Medicare even paid before they would. Insurance companies are just a blast to deal with. Almost as much fun as a root canal without anesthesia. The hygienist tells me all the damage to my teeth is far less than what she sees and the office specializes in oral cancer patients.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021