Let me clarify about the pump a little better. There are 3 types of feeding methods. Gravity is where it slowly runs into the tube. Bolus is using a syringe to do the feeding and push where you push it in with a syringe. The feeding pump is a piece of equipment obtained thru a prescription from a medical supply company. It will enable the tube user to hook up a bag at night to run while they sleep or even while sitting watching tv. Some patients cant tolerate the other feeding methods. I tried every other way to do the feedings but each way was too fast and created problems for me. The only way I could do a feeding was to use the pump. Most often if a person experiences problems with using liquid nutrition it can be handled by slowing down the speed of the feeding and watering it down.

The most common types of feeding tubes are the PEG tube, J/G tube, and the Mikey button. Most members get the PEG tube which goes right into the stomach and has a 'tail' sticking out. The Mikey button is like the PEG tube but its flush to the skin and can be changed at home when needed. A J/G tube has 2 sections, one going into the stomach and the other going into the area of the intestines right past the stomach. Not as many patients get the J/G tube or Mikey button. I have experience in both the PEG tube and the J/G tube as I have used both for a few years.

Please let me know if you need any help with learning how to use the tube. It might be a good idea to ask for a visiting nurse to check on you and the feeding tube. You may be entitled to a few visits which could be very helpful in adapting.

Good luck Friday!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy