Welcome to OCF, Risse! Glad you have found this site to help you and your mother.

Smoking is a huge no-no!!!! Im sure your mother avoided the whole topic since she is in denial that smoking had anything to do with her situation. Tobacco has over 50 known cancer causing chemicals added to it. All those extra chemicals are irritants and will make healing from treatments so much harder. Gosh, even after having a simple extraction done the dentist tells patients dont smoke. She needs to quit immediately!!! I am a former smoker so I know its not easy. There are tons of websites to help with quitting. I have worked with both TRUTH.com and the CDC on anti-smoking projects. Your mother does NOT want to end up looking like I do all due to a choice, smoking is a bad habit.

Nutrition plays a huge role in how easily she will get thru her treatments. Even day she needs a minimum of 2500 calories and 48 oz of water. If she is not getting that and is losing weight you need to discuss a feeding tube with her doctor. Being in another country, I dont know the protocols for this. There is the kind inserted into her stomach (PEG Tube) which is more permanent until she doesnt need it anymore. The nasal tube is more temporary, good for a few weeks. Here n the US we have things like Ensure and Boost which are liquid nourishment drinks that are high in calories. Without proper nutrition and hydration she will have a much harder time with everything.

To help your mother, I suggest reading this site. Not just the Q&A forum but also the main OCF pages. There are tons of interesting, current articles and topics to learn from there.

Stick with us and we will help you and your mother get thru this.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy