Nancy

Getting a PEG is a personal decision. Your MO is probably worried that you will negatively impact your ability to swallow as some people with a PEG just quit swallowing due to the pain which does cause a longer recovery. But if you want one, you are within your rights to push back and demand one now. Just remember to try and eat as long as possible and always keep swallowing at least water several times a day. Your surgical oncologist sounds like the doctor to ask to set that up for you.
Going thru this without a PEG requires major personal motivation, and a sense of psychological satisfaction from not getting a feeding tube. I had both so I had no problem doing without a PEG. But if you don't have both of those issues, then I'd recommend getting a PEG. It appears to me that mostly "older" guys like myself and Michael Douglas are so adamant on not getting a feeding tube, while most female patients don't feel it's any type of defeat or stigma. I used to dread these type of questions back when the pegophiles ruled OCF and insisted that not getting one was foolish and medically contraindicated, but now there is a civilized dialog acknowledging the personal nature of the decision. Turns out the "medical" necessity is not accepted by many ROs and MOs while some insist on it. The PEG does have hassles like leakage, etc and some people have more problems with it then others. It's your decision to make
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13