My husband had the 1st of 3 "big bag" cisplatin doses last week, on Tuesday. Beginning on Friday, he's been experiencing very short (like, 1-3 seconds) bursts of ringing in his ears, mostly in the left ear but sometimes in both. It happens about 5-6x/day.

Before he started chemo we talked to his ENT about the cisplatin/hearing loss issue, and he had a hearing test performed. The test showed some very, very slight conductive loss (not neural) in the lower ranges only so the ENT and MO conferred and decided my husband was still a good candidate for cisplatin. The ENT told us that if ringing became a problem, my husband would likely be put on a super high course of steroids and something else (I don�t have my notes with me so I can�t remember what else�possibly an antibiotic?) and that should reverse it before it became permanent loss/tinnitus. Oh, and I think he�ll have to have weekly hearing tests now but I could be making that up; as I said, I don�t have my notes with me.

We have an appointment with the ENT and audiologist tomorrow, and the after that the ENT will confer with the MO and we�ll address the possibility of switching to carbo rather than cisplatin. The preference is definitely to keep him on cisplatin if possible but obviously we don�t want him to have any kind of significant hearing impairment. Right now I�m looking for experience with short bursts of tinnitus rather than the long, continuous ringing. Anyone had this on cisplatin, and: Did it go away? When did it go away? Did you do the steroid/antibiotic course and if so, how did you handle that?

Husband diagnosed 10/11/12 with Stage III oral tongue SCC, T3N1M0 (HPV negative). 35 years old, non-smoker, non-drinker.
Hemiglossectomy and left selective neck dissection (levels 2, 3, and 4) on 11/01/12.
Chemo (Cisplatin x 3) finished 1/23/13.
Radiation finished 1/28/13.