I have to go with DavidCPA on how tax articles and regulations are a lot dryer and complicated than Gillison's study. Especially since you can just read the abstract and get the major points. If you take your time and read it, Gillison's study is well written and understandable. Not so with tax regulations which have multiple subsections and often assume you know the other subsections which they refer to with zero explanation (I'm biased after arguing for over 20 years with the IRS attorneys who write those regs)

What is amazing to me is Gillison's adherence to giving both sides of the argument, marshalling in one place the conflicting studies. If everything does not line up, she says it needs more investigating, like the links between tobacco & alcohol on HPV (unproven either way). So when she does say something, you can count on it like: HPV causes oral cancer in both users and non users of tobacco and alchohol.

But the biggest comfort to me is her conclusion, stated in the abstract, that HPV + patients have at least a 50% improvement in overall survival at 5 years which is equivalent to a 30% improvement in absolute survival.

Thanks Brian for putting this up both on the OCF web and forum
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 12-16-2012 10:17 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13