Dear all

I was diagnosed with tip on tongue cancer, underneath and on the left hand side and had surgery on the 14th November. My surgeon took out a big chunk but found that the biopsy had got all of it and lots of healthy tissue was removed, however he wanted to be safe than sorry. I have not had a neck dissection as the tumour was so small (3mm by 4mm) he said it was protocol not to do the invasive neck surgery for such a small tumour.

I am really very grateful that it�s been caught early but I feel like the whole cancer thing has just hit me like a truck and it�s sinking in now, I�m having awful nightmares. It�s now just a month after surgery and I have a lisp that upsets me as I�m a Counsellor/Psychotherapist who was attending interviews for jobs up until this happened. I get so scared when I speak to strangers and can�t ever imagine being given a job speaking like this, especially as the jobs I�m qualified for involves advocacy, public speaking and campaigning.

I�m being referred to a speech therapist and a clinical psychologist by my amazing Macmillan nurse (UK special cancer nurse) so I really hope they can both help.

I really don�t want to fall into the victim trap when I�ve been so lucky and others aren�t but I feel so awful. Can anyone give me any hope for my lisp to improve due to a shorter tongue and less of a tongue down the left hand side, and also if any feeling will come back in my tongue? � the doc won�t say either way if the nerves will regenerate or my speech will ever be the same, humph!

Thank you, Kate

T1N0M0 Tip of tongue cancer
32 year old female from the UK
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2012
Surgery 14 Nov
Partial glossectomy
No neck dissection as tumour 3 by 4 mm
Ex smoker and drinker