I suggest getting your eyes checked too if possible before HBO. My husband had one extraction and one root canal and then due I think largely to NO follow-up with the first oral surgeon and getting an infection even with HBO having about a month later he had second oral surgery session (with a new and much better oral surgeon) had another extraction of the tooth with the root canal and the tooth in front of it. He had a total of 118 two hour dives and three teeth pulled. Almost a year later, he still has a hole in jaw, but much smaller than it was.

He kept telling the HBO doctor he was going blind and the doctor kept saying it would get better when he was out of the HBO for 6 weeks or so. He finally finished HBO after 118 dives and still could hardly see 2 months later. He finally agreed to see an eye doctor and he really was blind � major cataracts. He could see fine pre-HBO. Apparently accelerating cataract growth is a relatively rare, but possible side effect of HBO treatment. None of the doctors, dentists etc. seemed to be aware of this or certainly didn�t tell us this. We presume he probably had immature cataracts at the start of the HBO, but was blind by the end 20/200 one eye, 20/400 the other eye. Cataracts have now been repaired and he sees fine again, but it was a shock to be blind.

Good news is that at almost 6 years he is still cancer free!

Barbara S
C/G to Michael age 64, stage 1 base of tongue SC cancer and a stage one for a couple lymph nodes, diagnosed 09/12/06, IMRT radiation 10/24/06 to 12/05/06 , last PET / CT scan 11/7/11 - still cancer free!!!