So glad you and your wife are doing well! You will get through it. The end may be harder but she sounds like shes coping well. I didn't need my meds until the last few days and for the first few days after treatment finished. It's was by no means an easy path but I was still lucky compared to some.
For the first while everything has you going... Oh my god this isn't normal... Is this a recurrence. I off set that by checking my neck weekly and looking around my mouth weekly, if theres something genuinely concerning then i make an appointment woth my ent. Then I try to put it behind me. I have to assure myself that my surgeon was awesome, hospital great, and ive done all i can - from diet change to follow ups, to suppliments to help try and prevent a recurrence so at this point it's up to fate and destiny. I still think about it - but less so. Blessings to you.and good luck for the coming treatments.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan