I have had rads three times. One round of IMRT to my soft palet then two years later another round of IMRT to my neck after the discovery of a cancerous lymph node in my neck that had grown around my carotid artery. They gave me the same warning regarding a blowout but put my odds at 2% of that occurring.

The second round of IMRT did not have much crossover as the first round higher up but it did not get all the cancer. They told me at that time I WAS TERMINAL. I got a second opinion regarding the option of Cyberknife (just like Charm).

I did the Cyberknife to the same location as the second IMRT 5 months out. That looks to have gotten the rest of the cancer but I do now have issues with necrosis in the soft palet and throat. I am battling that now. I may need a reconstruction in that area if the necrosis does not stop (at this time it is receding very slowly). I am still in some pain and am constantly battling a sore throat. I make due as the only other option would have had me on my death bed around now. I get another PET scan on the 3rd of December to see if the last radiation was completely effective. I had one at two months that was clear but this one will show if any microscopic disease was missed and is now big enough to detect.

I am still battling fatigue but am able to work part time and enjoy time with my family. I can travel and get out often so all is not lost. I am still counting my blessings and thumbing my nose at the three doctors who told me I was terminal over the past year.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR