I ran across this small study on Science Daily that suggests that exercising after cancer therapy may help your "immune systems remodel themselves to become more effective, potentially fending off future incidents of cancer." See Excercise Could Fortify Immune System Against Future Cancers .

This study does not reference Head and Neck Cancer, or look at long term survival, but I think it's worth a glance. The concepts of exercise may be nearly impossible to imagine for someone emerging from the tunnel of the brutal therapy for head and neck cancer ... but it's all relative. A trip to the mailbox is exercise if you've been in bed for a week, and a walk around the block will help your spirit as well as your body if you've only made it to the mailbox thus far. Soup cans (or bottles of Boost) make great starter free weights. Dogs can be invaluable - I firmly believe my husband bounced back as quickly as he did because of our dog's daily walk.

Maria

Last edited by Maria; 10-15-2012 10:57 AM. Reason: typos

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.