Nocam,

A few options to consider;

1) If you go off trial it may be as simple as changing to a different chemo. As chemo is only a small part of the treatment plan, that might work.

2) I was treated in the same trial but they considered me an off trial patient because I live in another state and they could not assure my follow ups would be at UPMC. It may be that simple.

3) Check with the doctors. They know the system and may have an end around. Dr. Heron will call them directly if he thinks he has a chance (he offered to do that for me on a PET scan charge).

4) See if the hospital has their own program to support people like you who fall through the cracks.

5) Sometimes the doctors at one hospital will follow the protocol as prescribed at another hospital. I�m not sure this will work in your situation as targeting is a very important part of cyberknife reradiating. They have a very specific way they target the treatment and need to do that on their own equipment. I know because I asked how much of this I could do in my state (not much).

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR