So I had the supracricoid laryngectomy late June and all margins were clear. The Ct scan showed No lymph nodes and cancer (rare spindle cell) was confined to larynx. I had surgery the 18th of September to inject radiesse gel into my vocal fold to help me with voice volume. It really did not work well. I had most post-op follow-up yesterday. The last week (out of nowhere) I developed a large lump just under my adams apple. In a week it grew from nothing to the size of a golf ball. I was going to the hospital anyway so I thought it may be an infection or air pocket from the surgery. Cancer cannot grow this quick I thought.
After checking out my vocal area which looked OK we addressed the lump on my neck. Ultrasound showed no air pocket or liquid like mass. Right there he did a needle biopsy and path came up and did slide samples. Within a half hour they confirmed spindle cell cancer in the tissue sample. I had a CT scan an hour later and should get results today and surgery scheduled for next Tuesday..neck dissection. Since I had radiation in 2011 which did not work I do not know if they will do it again or chemo. We are not that far along. It seems that the cancer is one step ahead of the surgeons knife.I will post back when I get CT results but what I hoped was confined to the larynx is NOT.. Steve Hurlock

SCC of larynx,2/1/2011 surgery 16 times to remove papilloma on vocal cords,started TOMO rad treatment 4/11.2011 T2N0M0 possible invasion onto cartilage tissue Cancer back 6/2012. Polyp removed Came back spindle cell carcenoma 6/22/12