I rang the bell signifying the end of radiation tx yesterday and that is a relief. Am dealing with mucous and difficulty getting enough calories in, but part of the calorie problem is due to the complete loss of taste. Actually, most tastes are gone (e.g. cannot taste sweet at all, ice cream is like chalk to me), while a few are exaggerated (e.g. spicier flavors). Fortunately I still find Boost palatable, and mix it with whole milk to make it a palatable consistency, but it's hard to force myself to drink enough and is all I can stomach. I am looking forward to getting some sense of taste back. I am hoping to avoid a feeding tube. Fortunately I have very little pain and no difficulty swallowing.

I am wondering how taste problems have been for others, and how quickly it might come back enough to make one able to eat normal food again. Does anyone have ideas to help force in more calories? Have tried weight gain powders body builders use, many kinds of juices and desserts, but they have not worked. Thanks.

Last edited by Ed H; 10-03-2012 07:29 AM.

Ed H, NE Ohio
SCC BOT with lymph node involvement, HPV+, diagnosed 7/12
Radiation and Cisplatin