Hi Everybody.

Thanks so much for creating this forum, it's really helpful to be reading other folks' experiences.

My dad was diagnosed this week with tongue cancer,mid way between his front and back tongue, between stage 1-2. The doctor thinks that it has been caused by friction from his wisdom tooth that has been rubbing against his tongue for almost a year now. In two weeks he's going to get 1/4 of his tongue removed, as well as his lymph nodes. They say they're not convinced that the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes, but better to be safe than sorry. The dr. says he doubts radiation will be necessary.

Anybody out there gone through this sort of surgery at this stage? Also, how common is it for cancer to be caused by irritation, such as friction from a tooth? Does this sort of cause make the cancer less dangerous/aggressive, since it's source is clearly environmental?

We're also very anxious about what sort of long term effects this sort of surgery will cause. Will my dad be able to eat? swallow? talk? The doctor says yes, but we can't help but be worried.

My whole family is pretty much in shock right now, and my dad is scared. He's only 59, just getting ready to retire, and is terrified that his quality of life is going to be ruined.

I'd love to hear any comments, suggestions or words of wisdom from folks that have been through this sort of thing before.

Thanks,

Magen