Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted here, but 6-8 months ago I posted on the site with concerns about my array of symptoms. I had a biopsy done of an area of concern and it came back negative for malignancy.

Unfortunately, that was not the end of my adventure. I finally got on state insurance, which is way better than nothing. I got my hopes up pretty high at that point (5 months ago) because I thought I would finally get to the bottom of all of this. My doctor, however, has turned out to be, well, not my favorite.

Regardless, after supplying him with pages of symptoms and moaning weekly, he finally referred me for a neck ultrasound (only after referring me to psych). I asked for an MRI or CT but he says that my insurance requires evidence to show these tests are needed. When I asked what kind of evidence, he said a lump or mass! I had already shown him five, yes five, of those.

So today I finally had that ultrasound. I won't find out the results until next Wednesday, but I am glad some sort of imaging has finally been done. Of course the tech can't tell me anything, but she was taking measurements of the masses on the screen and had arrows pointing them out, so at least I know she saw what I can feel.

I don't know for certain that it is oral cancer, but I am strongly suspicious given the symptoms I have had. Pain in my tongue, cheeks, and jaw. A good sized mass in my left cheek below my cheek bone. The area previously biopsied healed and then returned to its orginal state of concern. Tingling and burning sensations in my face and forehead. It is certainly possible that something else is going on, but I am not too optimistic at this point.

I am fearful about the length of time it has taken to get to this point in the diagnostic process. I am high anxiety as a result of my symptoms, but I don't have general health anxiety. The doc referred me because he felt that I was stressed, but fearing the worst and getting no answers will do that to a person. I have been very sick aside from my other symptoms and some days I don't have the energy to walk from my room to the kitchen. If that doesn't stress someone I don't know what will.

I've kept reading the forums over the months, and my heart goes out to everyone who is waiting on diagnosis and to those who have been battling this disease. Thanks in advance for any advice and support. I will do my best to return the favor.

33 yr old female, former smoker of too many years.
Currently awaiting results of a neck ultrasound.