Hi, I'm new to this forum - found whilst 'Dr Googling' (which I KNOW is naughty).

I'm 42yo female in Melbourne, Australia. Last week I had a very nasty tooth ache & was able to get an appointment that day. Thought for sure I had a cavity. Turns out I have a chronic infection in the root of a 21yo root canal. Was referred to an Oral & Maxillofacial surgeon to have the tooth removed (as there is NO WAY I could have this done in the chair - GA all the way for me).

So on Monday I have my appointment. Dr agrees tooth needs to come out. But he was far more concerned with the white patch on the side of my cheek & the side of my tongue.

He wants to biopsy it on Monday.

Now - these 'patches' has been there for quite some time. Thinking at least a couple of years! I know - 'Why didn't I get it seen to 1yr 11 1/2 months ago'! I seriously thought I had it because I tend to bite the inside of my cheek alot (accidently - at least once a day). And the side of my tongue keeps rubbing up against the tooth next to the Root Canal tooth (as it has moved over the years due to the root canal tooth).

The patch on the inside of my cheek looks like 'cottage cheese' that cannot be scraped away. It is about 1.5cm x 1.5cm. There is also a long 'ridge' that is a bit hard. It all seems to line up with where I would bite my cheek.

Now for the shitty bit.

I have smoked all my life. Gave up 3 years ago, only to take it up again 14mths ago. It will be kicked for good this time. I also had the HPV virus 20 years ago (cervical dysplasia). This is not looking good, is it.

I am paralysed with fear. I have 4 kids (18, 16, 13 & 10). I can barely breathe & can't stop crying. I've told nobody at this point. Family know I'm having the tooth removed Monday (24/9), but that's it.

Realistically, what are the chances that this is just Leukoplakia? Benign. NOT BLOODY CANCER!

As I said - I know 'Dr Google' is bad - but geez - the odds aren't looking great.

Any advice will be most gratefully appreciated.

Melissa