Hi everyone. As some of you are aware we are still dealing with issues with Osteonecrosis in Steve's jaw. Last week he had surgery to fix a broken left mandible and they have put a plate in to make his jaw stronger. They did try to do the surgery from within his mouth but unfortunately the surgery was more complicated than first thought so they ended up cutting across his neck so they can access his jaw. Due to how delicate the inside of his mouth is they were unable to get stitches to hold where they made the original incision so they have put him onto a nasal feeding tube until next thursday at this stage, to keep the inside of his mouth dry to help it heal and also to get some kind of calories into him.

We've dealt with the PEG in the past but the nasal tube is an entire different thing for us. Its much thinner than the PEG he had so I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what kind of things we can put down it. He's currently on a drink called novasource and also sustagen hospital grade.

From everything I've learnt in the last 3 and a half years you guys here know so much more about what can and can't happen with these tubes than any doctor we've come across so thought I'd see what you all thought. Is there any other thing that you've had success with when it comes to being high calorie, nutritious and also fits through that very thin nasal tube? Anything thicker than a normal milk consistency seems to be a struggle to get it through the tube.

On the plus side though he passed the 3 year cancer free anniversary last Tuesday 28th of August smile Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your help and support. Christine, Gabe, Klo and Karen, thanks so much for the support you always give me as well.

Wife to Steve 43. DX 5 May 09. T4N2MO SCC tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes & jaw bone
No surgery
Teeth removed 06/07/2009
radiation 13/07/2009 x 7wks
chemo 15/07/2009 x 3 Cisplatin
last TX 28/08/2009
25/11/2009 PET-lymph node activity.
08/01/2010 CT Scan-ALL CLEAR
03/03/2010-Peg removed
01/2013 left side of Jaw removed and replaced with pectoral flap.
23/12/2020 scan show lesion in tongue
01/2021 SCC stage 3 base of tongue diagnosed
01/03/2021 chemotherapy started.