Cannot seem to end this nightmare!

June 26th had 1st PET scan post treatment and RO Dr saw an "indication". RO Dr showed PET to us and there was small bright colored dot on the right side. However, ENT looked at this PET scan and thought it was too soon to worry, maybe false positive?

Never the less, Pain when swallowing food or especially drinking water kicked up a marked amount the next week and progressively got worse. ENT opitcially looked down the scope and observed inflamation.

2 weeks went by and he looked again and saw more inflamation and mucosis (spelling?) white areas poopping up. He ordered a new PET.

8-14-2012 PET Scan results came in, RO called to tell us with a larger area of "indication" pretty much the same footprint as we saw before treatment.

RO said my husband cannot do anymore RAD treatments. That opition is gone. We need to see the ENT this week, order a MRI and I think he said another laryngoscopy with Biopsy.

Cancer area is called Vallecula which is area behind & surrounds the epiglotis.

My husband is a professional clarinet and sax player that went back to work 3 weeks after last Chemo/Rad. I thought the inflammation and pain came from playing...he says even when he stopped playing for 7 days the pain got worse.

Has anyone had inflammation & pain and so on and did a biopsy that came out ok?

Last edited by ChristineB; 08-19-2012 05:25 PM.

Cancer of Vallecula = Pathology shows HPV
last Radx was on 4/26 total rads 35 & Cisplatin 3x 6 hr session - last one on 5/13 first PET scan post TX June 27th 2012 - Pain cameback early July. 2nd PET scan on Aug 14 showed activity in same original location. Biopsy on Aug 31st