Hi taafgood, sorry your husband has to suffer needlessly. I have had a roller coaster of pain, and my doc's (oncologist, surgical radiologist, ENT all gave me pain med's but not in a coordinated manner. Finally went in towards the end of my treatments (last chemo was 3 July, last Rad was 10 Jul) and said I need something for pain. I can take some tablets so I was on oxycodone for overall pain management. I was taking 1 x 10 mg twice a day. Also, I was to take liquid (same dosage) as a break through pain medicine. It worked for a little while, but pain increased so they doubled dosage because I had to take so much Break Through pain medicine. Had I not told them I was taking break through 6 times a day they though the long acting was good enough. Also, my doc�s were not shy about prescribing pain medicine. Did I get a sense your doc is conservative in this view? My doc�s warned me a great deal that yes I would become addicted to the Oxy, but they will help me wean me off. Yes I will get constipated. In the beginning, I decided not to take because I was so plugged up. I accepted this as pain was so severe. I recommend Philips Milk of Magnesium for constipation.
I now take 60 mg of long acting Oxy tablets three times a day. I do not take break though liquid. Other than if I try to eat, I have a pain no higher than a 3 on 1-10 scale. I am in recovery now and need no pain to interfere with recovery.
I encourage you to ask doc to increase dosage so you have no pain.
Good luck!

Ken

48YO M, hlthy, xsmkr(quit 14yrs ago), mod drinkr
1 mo sore throat w/neck lump 3/12
SCC tonsil, lym nodes
4/12/12 rad tonslctmy, mets in lymph nodes
5/8 PEG, 5/10 PORT 7/3/12 Last Chemo (Cisplatin)| 7/10/12 Last RAD | 9/6/12 MRI=No New Cancer
BSA Scout Ldr w/strng desire to live & beat cancer