I do not have personal experience with the clinic you mentioned. Is this a chain of treatment centers? When I did a quick internet search I found some not so flattering things about this facility, including mentions on quackwatch.

The longer a person is post treatment, the higher the chances a recurrence will not happen. The top NCI cancer centers have a multi disciplary team based approach where a patient is cared for by a team of experienced professionals. Being treated at one of these places is usually the best way to get treated. Thats not to say some smaller places dont have experience or success in treating oral cancer patients. I know its next to impossible not to worry about a recurrence but worrying wont change what could happen to any one of us. Go out and try to make the very most out of every single day and have a positive attitude. Cancer is like a thief and will steal your time away from you. Time spent worrying or even considering the "what if's" is time that could have been put to much more positive uses.

Im not one to be concerned about odds or numbers as I shouldnt be here. Ive been thru oral cancer 3 times and the 3rd time around it finally sunk it and I went about living my life without the constant fear of being sick again. Even when it did come back for the 3rd time I went out and made the most out of every day and took my children all over the place on family adventures. My logic was if I was not going to make it then my kids would have some great memories they would never forget of good happy times we spent together as a family.

Here is a quote from Brian Hill about odds of recurrence "While oral cancer has a higher recurrence rate than most other cancers, it is not inevitable that you will get it again. The first two years post treatment have the highest risk, at five years the statistics for most oral cancers to end up in recurrence drop to about a 13% chance."

Quackwatch Gerson Clinic

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy