Hi - if he's going for radiation best not to do any supplements until after he's finished rads for about a month. Some of them can interfere with the work radiation is doing and usually the recommend stopping them 1 month prior to treatment. I guess the figure why start as they usually do rads within 6 weeks.
As for dr Irish he is awesome. Really - bedside manner comes and goes with him. I get the feeling he is super busy but has never blown me off or my concerns he was actually very approachable last month when I saw him. I just know that he takes 15 hrs to work on a patient, he's sees cancer all day long, and must have multiple surgeries weekly so I cannot imagine how he's not tired and frustrated all the time. last time he seemed far more relaxed and so it depends on the day - his fellows are usually quite fantastic. Dr. Gundulac who was his fellow during my time with him was amazing. thes a new guy now from Sweden or something he's also quite nice.
Truthfully unless the guy is a complete turd - I don't mind if they have a bit of attitude - he's earned it - he's the head of the clinic, a pioneer in his field, and an amazing surgeon... At the top hospital in the country...
Worry not your dad is in good hands. Hugs!!!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan