Welcome to OCF! This forum is full of members who have gone thru radiation and survived, myself included. Every patient is different and will respond in their own way to treatments. Some breeze right thru while others will struggle. Nutrition will play a huge role in how easily you get thru it. Daily you will need a minimum of 2500 calories and 48 oz of water. No skimping and thinking you can make it up the next day, it never happens and playing catch up doesnt work.

If I were you I would educate myself as much as possible by reading the forum and main OCF pages. Some of the info you related is not how patients here in the US are treated. Im sorry you clash with your doctor, that does not make things easy at all. They could be the very best doc in the world but their personality makes it hard for you to see it.

Dont worry yourself over statistics. Either you make it or you wont. Sorry to be blunt but I dont put much stock in the odds as I should not be here after going thru oral cancer 3 times. Please continue to be a non-smoker. You do NOT want to tempt fate and have a recurrence. Seek out a speech pathologist to help you regain your ability to speak clearly. They really can do wonders!!!! Anyone who offers their help to you, write down their name and number and let them know when the time comes you will let them know what you need. Dont be proud, if someone offers to help they really do mean it so take them up on it.

We have several members from Australia. Im sure some will chime in soon.

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy