The white discoloration could be a number of things, it's called dysplasia and could be a Lichenoid reaction, Lichen Planus or a number of other issues in the mouth. They are not necessarily cancerous however they do have a fairly high percentage chance to become cancerous over time according to Dr. Edmond Truelove and his research at the University of Washington's school of Oral Medicine.

I was fortunate enough to not only attend his lecture at the Pacific Northwest Dental Convention, I was introduced on stage to share a bit of my story and announce the Seattle Oral Cancer Awareness Walk. Afterwards I got to speak to Dr. Truelove about his researcher and even make a very good connection and become Facebook friends with one of his researchers.

The UW uses the VELScope early detection system to monitor any dysplastic tissues in the mouth as according to their research it detected cancerous lesions 100% of the time, when Dr. Truelove and his staff of clinicians only detected it 60% of the time with current methods. The VELScope was also used to accurately define surgical margins and the best places to biopsy, as a biopsy is the only way to get a cancer diagnosis.

My advice to you is to first and foremost, quit smoking...if you haven't heard, it causes cancer, specifically Oral Cancer which is a "F'N" horrible way to die. Secondly find a Oral Medicine Professional in your area that uses a VELScope and is familiar with Oral Cancer to take a look at the dysplasia and then have them biopsy a few areas within the dysplastic area to check for cancer.

Don't freak out though, trust me on this as worrying and stress can weaken the immune system. Take the steps outlined above as they give you the best chance at catching it early if it is cancer, which gives you the best chance at survival and minimal side effects.

Hope that helps,

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 07-03-2012 12:40 PM. Reason: always spelling

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.