Boomboom, I lost 75% of my tongue, and I can speak fairly well (even on the phone) now that I am 18 months post-surgery. As Cindy says, hit the cancer with everything you can the first time and hopefully it will be the last time.

I would do it all over again if I had to...I think it was the best choice: surgery (neck dissection, partial glossectomy, and tongue reconstruction with forearm flap) followed by 30 rounds of radiation.

Many of us (cheryld is also one) have had portions of our tongue removed and we are fine today..... Cheryld is doing very well -- she even went back to acting auditions, so you know she is doing & looking good !

Wishing your dad the best possible outcome whatever your decision. Private message me if you would like to chat. I know you are at the stage where your head is spinning, so I would be happy to help.

DX 12/6/10 of T3 SCC Tongue.
Surgery 1/3/11 was hemigloss & forearm free flap, midline mandibulectomy, Neck Disection-All nodes clear.
Ended rads 5/11/11. Taste buds back to about 80%. PEG removed 4/5/12, experimenting eating real food again. If I can do this, so can you !! Stay Strong.