My son lost his voice, too for about a week or two but developed his own sign language which his 5-year-old daughter and I quickly adapted to - like thumbs up or down for yes/now, shrug shoulders (I'don't know), etc. I would just ask him yes/no questions or "choice" questions so he could pick #1, 2 or 3. There were some funny moments too, which of course I tried not to let him see me smile or laugh, like when he got so upset with me, and waving his arms around excitedly for not understanding something he was trying to communicate. My son used the Magic Mouthwash which worked for a while and then he went to a Walgreen store brand which worked, too. Then when he started on Magic Mouthwash again it worked. So there are different things you can try if one doesn't work. Glad to hear the mouth sores went away. Hope you continue with more improvements.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)