Ana thank you for sharing that! Tracking nutrition is "key" to patients and survivors alike. Us head and neck survivors have a tendency to avoid food as we often suffer the loss of the social aspect of eating. Poor nutrition and lack of exercise weakens the immune system and studies show that patients with higher lean muscle mass percentages have better survival rates.

Personally I've made it a point to track everything I eat (easier on an all liquid diet) so that I even have my macro nutrient (fat, proteins, carbs) broken down in percentage per calorie. That's sounds fanatical when I put it like that...hmmm I am obsessed.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this, it's important! Seeing you are from Illinois I have to say I'm excited to be at the N. Illinois Oral Cancer Awareness Walk this Sunday as the featured speaker. My dad's family is from Illinois so it'll be good to see family.

If you are in the Chicago area you should check it out here: http://donate.oralcancer.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.eventDetails&eventID=511

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.