Welcome to OCF! The surgery you have described is a major one which can have a very long recovery, up to a year. Im not surprised at all that he is still in alot of pain. What surprises me is that his doctors thought tylenol could work for his pain. thats like putting a bandaid on a broken leg. Nobody should have to hurt, it is not helpful at all to the patient. Ive had something similar done with half of my lower jaw removed, neck dissection and the peck flap.

How about asking for Nureontin? That works on muscles and should help and can be taken along with the fentanyl. The fentanyl patch will take 24 hours to kick in. It is the strongest pain medication available, its much stronger than even morphine. What dosage is he on? It comes in 12.5, 25, 50, 75, 100mg. For example, if your husband is on 25mg and he doesnt feel like it is helping then they can bump him up to 50mg. Once the dose gets set then if he would have occasional break thru pain he can take something for that like lortab or roxicet. A word of caution.... read and follow the directions very carefully with the patch. No hot showers or soaking in a hot bathtub, never bend, tear or cut the patch. Those things can cause the patch to release too much medication and cause an overdose, so be very careful.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy