I can't tell you how many times I read Christina's recommendation for calories and water and yet I discovered something today! A couple of weeks ago my husband experienced a full day of extreme weakness, which we couldn't figure out, but we now know what caused it. In his cycle of treatment he gets radX2 daily and chemo(cisplatin) on Wednesdays. His best day of the week is on Thursday's and then Friday until about midday - which we discovered is from the steroids he gets with the chemo. He got up today and was as week as the worst day which again just seemed unexplainable. I have been keeping a chart becuase he is getting tube feedings and I've been trying to keep his nutrition up - daily weight, feeding times, protein supp times, etc, and so I went back and looked at the day before the worst day and sure enough - only 3 feedings that day, and only 3 feedings yesterday! He gets carnation instant breakfast VHC and a supplement of liquid protein. What I learned is that it's not just to keep him going, but it is also to provide his body with enough ammunition to keep on fighting. He is 79 years old and is doing really well - although we have 2 more weeks out of 7 to go. He sometimes needs a walker and wometimes doesn't have enough energy so we use a wheelchair, but many days he is able to walk around the house absolutely unassisted for which I am so thankful.

I'm pretty sure this whole time would have been more difficult if he didn't have the PEG tube because I know he never would have been able to keep up with the calories needed in this battle.

Christine - I thank you for all your advice and knowledge - thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!