Rich,

Welcome to OCF! My history is similar to yours � 4 surgeries since 2005. Two were for SCC, one a follow-up to get better margins and dysplasia, and the last one for dysplasia. I did have RT about 8 months after first surgery (long story). All in exactly the same area � right lateral side of tongue. See my signature below for a brief summary of my OC adventures!

I�ve had various patches and ulcers (white, red, etc.) in my mouth since my first surgery and seem to be worse after each surgery, but have improved over time. But since I�ve had RT my healing time is a lot longer than �normal�.

My last 2 surgeries were at Johns Hopkins which has one of the best head and neck cancer centers in the country. During these surgeries my doctor did �frozen sections� during surgery and also used a �blue dye� (cannot recall the exact name of the dye but begins with a T) but it helps to identify abnormal areas when he then biopsied.

I have no known risk factors so my doctors (I�ve been to many different ones) are at a loss as to what is causing my cancer. There are a lot of us who fall into this unlucky group and for some reason seem to be more prone to recurrences. I still go for frequent follow-up appointments at my local ENT, my ENT at Johns Hopkins and my dentist, and will most likely continue to do so for many years.

Over the years I�ve had a number of PET Scans, CT Scans and MRIs plus a few fine needle biopsies to check some lymph nodes in my neck.

Radiation isn�t easy, but I would seriously consider it in your situation. I also agree that you should go to a top cancer center if you are not going to one currently. You need to be vigilante as this cancer does kill all too many people.

Good luck! Please keep us posted. Also, when you have time please add a signature listing your diagnosis and treatments.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)