Hey folks - been away for a while moving into a new position where I work as a speech pathologist in a hospital specializing with folks like me/us!

Here's what I tell my Pt's about thickened liquids:

What happens when you tip a glass of water over on the table?
It splashes and moves with lightening speed all over - going everywhere it possible can.

Now, what happens when you tip over something the consistency of a smoothie or a milkshake?
It doesn't splash and it moves slowly - giving you enough time to wipe it up before it makes a huge mess.

This is the principle at work that makes thickened liquids easier to swallow! The slower the liquid moves - the more time your muscles have to prepare for the swallow, seal your airway and protect you from coughing and choking.

Thickened liquids can sometimes get a bad rap - most people assume they're unappealling Let me say - there's very little that is MORE appealling than reducing coughing, choking and aspiration pneumonia!

Sadly, for some folks, even thickening the liquid doesn't improve the situation enough that they can safely swallow. Always ask your doctor questions you may have about swallowing and ask for a referral to an SLP!

Sorry if this sounds like a Public Service Announcement! :-)
Be well!

Jennifer (39)
02/10 SCCa Tongue & Base, HPV-
03/10 Partial Glossectomy & ND 11/10 Revision due to additional nodes 12/20-2/2/11 IMRT & concommitant chemo 2/11 PEG in 3/11 PEG out
Back at work and feeling good 03/24/11!
12/20/11 - 9 month f/u PET/CT - all clear!