I am only six weeks out of my 2nd surgery. It was a revision to my tongue to free up adhesions that anchored the left side of my tongue to the bottom of my mouth.

This time I recieved a skin graft that runs from the back of my lateral left tongue to my tip. It is white/grey in appearance as it should be, smooth at the back but up mear the tip it is firm, leathery and has many folds. I have one lump that is visible but until this week couldnt be felt through the thickness of my tongue but now is, when I run my teeth across the top of my tongue. I now feel a small rice/pea size firm hard lump. To which I may be feeling pain from. (due to numbness and chronic nerve pain its hard to pin point where this new pain is coming from.)

Also in the last couple days, I developed some new and obvious pain at the base of tip of my tongue/floor of mouth (last 48hrs) where the graft is not smooth but full of wrinkles and ridges. All this pain is different from my nerve pain (in which I take T3s and gabapentin for, with min to moderate results)

Is this leathery wrinkly effect of the graft at the tip typical? Has anyone else been bothered by the firm leathery ridges? Anyone else experience pain?

I have moderate to severe nerve pain at the tip that persists as a result of my first surgery. My cancer was very superficial so my 'complications' (anchoring and nerve pain)were not expected by my surgeon.

Firm leathery feeling typical?
Lumps and ridges common place with grafts?
Pain as a result of a graft??

Last edited by tracyinkits; 04-29-2012 02:19 AM.

Tracy Dx @ age 47
Single No dependants
NS/Social ETOH
Clinical Study (early detection)
Dx July/09 Mod. Dysplasia (lichen planus)
Dx Sept/11 TisN0M0 SSC Lt Tongue
Sx Oct/11 CO2 Laser Glossectomy
Sx Mar/12 Release of tongue anchoring (Skin graft)
Lingual Nerve Damage