Jode,

Opiates and alcohol should never be mixed. Opiates work by depressing the central nervous system which then slows your cardiovascular system, which affects your breathing. Adding alcohol to that mix causes death in a very real way, trust me on that one.

I had a "relationship" with pain medications for a total of 23 months, it wasn't until a Cranial Nerve Graft was done, taking the nerve that controls half of my tongue and grafting it into my facial nerve that the pain in my face became tolerable without drugs. I still have daily pain however I've been able to manage it without the use of opiates or anti-seizure meds (like Neurontin) or low dose tricyclics.

I did use vaporized or ingested marijuana (never smoke) for about a year after my last surgery to help with nerve pain, moods and appetite, however like any drug it too has it's side effects in memory loss and paranioa. What I like about MJ if you need to use it (drugs are tools to be used if the need arises) is that it doesn't have any known drug interactions and there's never been an OD recorded that I could find, and I've searched. On the other hand I've almost died twice due to a fentanyl overdose due to issues with the delivery system of that drug (heat activated patch).

I also used MJ to help with the withdrawels of the opiates. I cavemanned the fentanyl (went out to a cabin in the woods with a qualified professional, who happened to be my mom too, and quit it cold turkey) and then dialed off the oxycodone a month after that, 2 weeks after my last surgery.

Just keep in mind that medications are tools to help you through until you can walk on your own two feet, which should be the goal. Medicating as a coping mechanism is dangerous and usually ends badly.

Good luck, let us know if you need help my friend.

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 04-28-2012 07:41 AM.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.