Go directly to the sources. Write a letter to every single doctor and treatment center. Sometimes you will get help just by asking. If you dont ask, you dont get so dont be ashamed to ask for help.

At the hospital where I am treated they have their own internal program. I reapply every few months as the discount is usually only good for 4 or 5 months at a time. You fill out a detailed form listing your income and attaching proof. They also ask for your expenditures and they will figure out a formula. Ive been lucky enough to get a large percentage off my hospital bills. This discount card is not for cosmetic procedures like reconstruction, but my doc wrote my reconstruction was medically necessary so I did get a big discount. He also waived all his charges for me. This also applies for the co-pays on all tests and doctor visits too. My discount varies but usually runs for 91% - 100% off which is applied to my co-pay. This helps greatly as every other month its over $5,000 when I get my feeding tube changed.

Alot of doctors will give help when one of their regular patients needs it. I went without insurance for about 6 months as I couldnt afford $700 a month for Cobra. MY ENT knew the situation and would waive his charges for the 6 months I waited for medicare to kick in. I didnt ask him for a discount. My ENT never said one word to me about it, he would just always write $0.00 in the amount owed area of the treatment page.

Hope you have good luck like I have with asking for help. Dont even think twice about feeling bad about this. The economy has put alot of us into this position. I have talked with many people about the hospital discount programs. Seems like most large facilities have it but they dont advertise it, so you have to ask.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma