While there are prescription liquid foods that my hospital recommended to me, I used over the counter (no prescription) Ensure� in my PEG bag. I did this for about 13 months with only little oral supplementation of blender drinks my wife would make for me, of fresh fruits and vegetables. These were very nutritious, and if he can tolerate some of it it affords you a chance to add healthy fats like olive oil and flax oil to the vegetable juices, protein powder (whey not soy) and enough fruits to add some sweetness to it.

Towards the end of my PEG use I was able to begin to eat some things by mouth that were not too painful. Chilled, canned, peach slices in syrup were the best - they were cool, and slipped down my sore throat with a minimum of effort. There are other liquid foods available at a store like WalMart from other manufacturers, and of course all of them can also be ordered on line from Amazon.

If you buy from Amazon, please use the OCF link to buy. It costs you no more and they help OCF with a 6.5% commission to the foundation on every purchase made through our link.

Remember to count calories and try to see that he gets at least 2000 per day. Hydration is also important so for every two cans of Ensure, I added 1-2 more of plain water to the mix. Do not forget to clean the PEG tubes very careful right after feeding by flushing with water, or club soda. These liquid foods will clog it up if you do not immediately clean it after each use.

Good luck with this, I am sure that others will post to your message thread soon. Weekends have the fewest number of posters on the boards, but more will certain answer you soon.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 03-17-2012 07:41 PM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.