I finished my Tx in October 2011 and had the follow up PET and CT in January. Both were inconclusive and showed a possibility of residual cancer in the BOT area. They also showed unresolved lymph nodes that did not "light up" in the PET and were thought to be necrotic tissue. My MO ordered a biopsy for the BOT issue and it came back negative, thank God.

Now we are turning to the lymph nodes. The MO says the size and appearance of two nodes in the CT scan are too much to (1) assume it is necrotic tissue and (2) adopt a wait and see approach. He wants to do a selective dissection of levels 1-4 and the retropharyngeal node and I have a surgery date of April 26.

Can anyone help me understand what I am facing in terms of the length of the surgery and recovery time? I understand the surgery can take several hours, and it is normal to be in the hospital for 2 or 3 days. It is not as involved as a radical or comprehensive dissection, and it does not have the same risk for damaging muscle or nerves as the comprehensive surgery. The MO also said recovery would take a month or two. I know there can be side effects that affect shoulder movement, facial nerves, etc, as well as continuing side effects such as skin sensitivity for a long time. But assuming a reasonable result from the surgery, when might I expect to start eating normally, return to work and then resume summertime activities such as swimming, golf, etc.? Can it really be as fast as a month or two? I appreciate any information from those who have had this done.

Dan

Dan (57)

SCC Stage III tonsil, BOT and 3 nodes, T1N2bM0. Non-smoker, and social drinker. HPV 16 confirmed. Tx started 8/22/11 and ended 10/7/11 - Cisplatin x 3 with concurrent IMRT x 35. No PEG. PET and CT inconclusive Jan. 2012; BOT and tonsil biopsy 3/1/12, all clear.