Kathy
I apologize for being so "absent" from the forums the past couple of years. Life has moved along, many changes...retirement, relocating to another city, our first grandchild, etc.. In any event, enough excuses...welcome! I'm sure you've already discovered what a wealth of knowledge and compassion there is in this place.

I've been one of the lucky ones...I faced the Beast, fought a rather horrific battle for quite a long while, and came out the other side, not unscathed by any means, but alive.

Since my journey began, I've had the chance to experience many amazing things that for a time I thought I'd not see; only through the work of some incredibly skilled medical professionals, my family, and the OCF did I make it through. Sadly, as is all too often the case, I've found that the wheels fall off the system a bit once you "make it"....compared to many, the problems I've had since treatment ended have been minimal until now. Now, I find myself in an uncomfortable position of "guinea pig"...I simply lived longer than anyone expected, and now they really aren't sure what to do with me.

Don't get me wrong; I'm incredibly grateful to be around to complain..I merely find it frustrating when now that I have some serious issues that NEED to be addressed, those same medical professionals have developed a case of "cold feet" for a myriad of reasons, and choose the safest option for them...to do nothing.

Doing nothing for me simply isn't an option; I don't believe I would be here today had I elected at any point to do nothing. I was SO pleased when my old surgeon re-appeared in my life..he's very irreverant, very talented and incredibly committed to HELPING people, regardless of politics, legal considerations, or whether or not he can afford to buy a new car this year.

He bullied, cajoled and shamed the other surgeons into stepping up; I'm sure he will do the same with the surgical oversight committee. I'm hopeful they will agree to the surgery if for no other reason than to get him off their backs...I don't care about the "why's", I only care that they agree.

Much of my frustration comes from the different mindset of most of the medical practitioners where we now live. A much smaller city, much more conservative, and VERY timid about dipping their toes into uncharted waters. I've quickly had to become my own, very vocal patient advocate out of self preservation. It's not a position that I'm not capable of fulfilling...I spent a very long time in my working life, bullying, cajoling and sometimes shaming others to get things done too. I simply would rather not have to do that, simply because I believe fundamentally that first and foremost a physician should have their patients interests in the forefront, not as an element to be considered after many other economic issues are looked at first.

That's a whole other, much more polarizing topic, and not worthy of a lot of additional ranting on my part. I'd just like to feel better, and find out what causing me to "feel lousy". Hopefully, I'll have a better handle on that by next week, and a much improved outlook. I really am a pretty up-beat guy...at least I think that some of the other "old-timers" here on OCF would tell you that.

I'll update this post as things change. Again, a long delayed "Welcome!"

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06