I wanted to let everyone know of a free service which isnt advertised very much. At my local credit union AARP volunteers prepare the members income taxes by appointment for free. They do this every year. For the past few years I have gone to get mine done by these volunteers. They are very well trained and are required to take many classes of instruction in order to do the income taxes. The volunteers are very thorough, do a double check by another volunteer and even do electronic filing. They prepare all the forms federal, state, and even local. It doesnt matter if you do the long complicated form or a short simple version. This service has become so popular over the years that my credit union doesnt even put up a sign about it. I know this is available not just in my area, its nationwide too. At my credit union, there is no minimum age requirement to get your taxes prepared for free you just need to belong to the credit union. Im not sure how old you need to be to become an AARP member but that isnt necessary either as I havent joined yet. When I turn 50 I will join AARP. Here is a link for more info.

AARP free income tax help

Last edited by ChristineB; 02-17-2012 12:04 PM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma