Wow, Sheila, that really hits home with me. I was diagnosed with oral cancer two years ago and had surgery and radiation. I also lost all my teeth. My family just can't seem to grasp anywhere near what I try to tell them about how my mouth is just a mess. They liken it to a cavity they once had or how painful it was to have their wisdom teeth pulled. They still insist on meeting at, for instance, a pizza parlor for a family get together and think I should enjoy their company while I watch them gobble down pizza that I can't eat.

Now I have colon cancer metastasized to my lungs and am terminal. Now they feel so, so sorry for me. They can never understand that oral cancer has done more damage to my quality of life than the terminal diagnosis. And they never will grasp it. The only ones who understand are the folks here. That's the only way I made it through oral cancer. Feel feel to tell them just how you feel and you will get great advice from everyone here. Sorry the rest of the world is so ignorant about this cancer.

BOT-SCC Partial glossectomy 7/16/09.
Stage IV, Rt ND 10/2/09.
Teeth out 11/5/09.
Port/peg in, 11/20/09.
7 wks rad & chemo, end 1/22/10
lung, colon biopsies 1/9/11 - both cancer
colon resect surg 1/10/11
Folfox + Avastin - discontinued 6/11
lung surgery 3/13/12, 5/1/12
mets to liver and bones
passed away 9/4/13