Brenda, welcome to OCF. Im glad you have found this site to help you thru your upcoming procedure. Try your very best to keep yourself busy so you dont worry so much. I know its very scary right now. Try your best to think positively.

Have you gone to a cancer center? If you need the links I will repost them for you. Its important to get a second opinion with a team approach where they are very experienced with dealing with oral cancer. Do you know what stage you are? Will you be having further treatments? Do you know how involved and how much tissue your surgeon will be taking?

Its a good idea to remember that every one is different and will respond in slightly their own way. Make sure you have a complete blood work up including thyroid, a hearing test and a good dental exam. If you will require further treatment down the road you will know what everything should be so if you have any problems with these areas you will have a guideline. Any questionable teeth should get pulled and if you will need radiation then you will need flouride trays made.

I know you must be overwhelmed right now. So much to do to prepare for this. Best wishes, please feel free to ask questions. We will help you with support and info.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma