I was thinking the same thing. Not really acceptable considering the circumstances. I will tell you that Kevin procrastinated for about 6 weeks longer than he should have because he thought I was overreacting. By the time he had his biopsy it had metastacized to many lymph nodes.
Please try to be seen earlier. The office should understand. No matter how much our men want to believe it's all wrong and not happening, you won't know until you know!! I don't know if your husband is in denial like Kevin was. It's hard for them, but I wish I had pushed way harder than I did.
I even cornered his Dr (gp)when she told him he could go back to work in Alaska for 3 weeks. We were alone and I told her she was making a huge mistake. I said if you check symptoms of oral cancer, he has ALL of them. I know she was afraid because she just froze and had an o crap look on her face. After the diagnosis and starting chemo I had to take my mom in to see her. She hugged me, cried and apologized. I asked her to please be more diligent with the next person that might come along. She said she would. It was because Kevin didn't smoke or drink so she just didn't think it could be cancer. I explained the HPV thing and a lightbulb came on. Hopefully next time she will be on it.
Part of our deal in the caregiving is to push when we need to. It's hard, believe me I know.
Keep in touch. We're here for you.
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14