Hi All,
I have been gone for awhile and so wanted to report on our progress. My husband's first PET scan was totally clear. He is gaining back his taste although it is different. He used to be a stir fry guy and now all he wants is steak and potatoes, pasta, fish and other meat. I bought a slow cooker and so can make special chicken dishes, pork roasts and other soft dishes with gravies. He is even able to eat sandwiches and pizza again. He does not take naps any longer and that makes him happy. He is back to work and that makes him happy. The most lasting effect is dry mouth. He has to use biotene products all day long, gum, spray and special toothpaste. He does have occasional swelling in his face: lymphedema. We did figure out how to massage his face so that the swelling goes down.
He is seeing his docs every 6 weeks for the first two years. We hope that he will remain clear. They told us that if he stays clear for two years that it is a very good sign. I will have to spend some time reading other posts. I have been very busy with work.
I am going to see a counselor as I do feel as if I have some post traumatic issues that I am dealing with. I have some fears that I do not express to him since he needs to stay positive.

Happy Holidays to everyone,
Ellen

caregiver for husband
diagnosed with oral cancer May 2011 after 6 mo
node lft side and several in jaw involved
Base of Tongue Stage IVA
7 weeks radiation
Cisplatin-3 chemos (beginning,middle,end) IntraV administration