Steve

It's a moot issue to me now since no one has shown any bad effects from alcohol in a feeding tube totally bypassing the oral cavity (of course it could also just be that there are zero studies on us tube feeders and alcohol). My doctors now do not object to putting wine down my feeding tube (beer is too fizzy). However back when I could still drink after the first round of cancer, all three of my doctors (ENT, RO, MO) told me a beer or two a night was fine and better than wine, but no hard liquor or spirits at all. I actually avoided a feeding tube during my first radiation and chemo by drinking one Tecate a night: if felt great and added those extra calories and washed down food. Even when I went to Ensure, I could still do a Tecate.
There are no guarantees with Cancer and people who scrupulously avoid alcohol still have recurrences. But with the low alcohol content of beer, my doctors were fine with it.
But then I"m old and my son is grown. My doctors did all stress to avoid any mouthwash with alcohol in it.
Have a merry christmas with your family
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 12-23-2011 06:27 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13