Oh David, David, David. I don't know you but I love your drive. I agree 100% with your efforts in spreading the word about HPV. When Kevin was diagnosed and we found out it was HPV he wrote a letter to his guys at work. He works on the Arctic Slope in a camp on the oil fields. Predominantly a male population they were shocked to learn of his cancer and the HPV. His employer actually asked him to write an article for their employee quarterly newsletter, which he very willingly did.
It does carry a bit of a negative stigma because of the label std, but really, who actually has only had 1 partner ALL their life. (except my mom! no really.) Kevin's ex-wife had cervical cancer like 18 years ago which was from HPV. We have been married almost 29 years, and now he gets this. So the virus is truly a mystery. Has it been in him all the time? Do I get my paps? You bet!! I'm glad word is getting out there. Hopefully there will be more research funds available soon.
Thanks for your enthusiasm David,
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14