Hi
I am new to this group. I have been undergoing treatment since june 2010. Had my initial surgery for removal of tongue ulcer and hemimandibulectomy.Reconstruction using free fibula and osteocutanous flap. Had recurrence detected during March 2011 in Pteregoid muscles (below eyes). Three cycles of chemo began immediately (each cycle of two days of painful duration!) consisting of cisplatin, docetaxol and 5FU. This was followed by another surgery in June 2011 nodes removed in neck for suspected nodal involvement. Post surgery 3 more cycles of chemo were given and the treatment got over in september. Monthly reviews so far given all clear and towards January 2012 will have a PET scan. During all this while i have had the following problems and the same is persisting:

[list]
[*]Lip closure is not achieved on the right side. hence unable to drink or eat without dribbling. Also speech is impaired due to this.
[*]My speech faculty is severely impaired and despite doctors saying that it will improve over time, it is not satisfactory.
[*]Tongue is stationary and does not move up resulting in eating and speech issues. have been asking doctors to mobilise the tongue.
[*]Since teeth on the right side have been removed, mastication is an issue. coupled with severe trismus for which is am doing exercises

While i have been treated by some of the best doctors and surgeons in my country the focus here has been more on getting rid of the disease leaving Quality of life issues. I have, however, regained my weight and drive alone to work. However not being able to eat and drink socially is very depressing. Also the total lack of clarify of my speech is beginning to effect my livelihood which depends on it.(I am a Business Coach). Was told that for speech therapy and rehabilitation, England is a good place. Am considering rehabilitative treatment abroad if needed.

I am new here and not sure if i have covered everything lucidly. Look forward to some serious advice. Thanks.

Chandra (49)
Carcinoma Tongue
30 rad chemo cisplatin
6/20/10 surgery 60% tongue removed, mandibluctmy, flap reconstd, right lower teeth removed.
Gross Trismus
recur 4/2011
3 cycle chemo cisplatin, 5FU and Docetaxol
surgery 6/2011
3 more cycle over 9/2011
Fit so far. weight added. 70 Kgs.