I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Tongue cancer (which later was diagnosed as metastatic)10 days after my 34th birthday. That year I had 4 subsequent surgeries, a partial glossectomy and 3 neck dissections, after which time, they decided to treat me with chemotherapy and radiation after all. I went through 6 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy (Cisplatin). I also received Amifostine injections before each radiation treatment, and I believe that may have protected some of the radiated tissue as almost all of my taste sensations returned to me, although it changed a little...that was this time 4 years ago. I am now plagued with recurrence worry. You read about people who are almost to that 5 year marker when they are hit with the next wave. To think that I will never be "in the clear" upsets me. What are the typical warning symptoms of recurrence? What am I looking for? Any information would be a great help. A single woman, no children, no immediate family in my vicinity... sometimes I feel alone and frightened.