Hi,
My dad has had various forms of cancer since 98. I always describe him as a strong man who chooses to live with cancer. His latest cancer is larynx for which he was diagnosed 4 years ago. He was in remission but it returned 2 years ago and was receiving a sort of "cocktail" on a weekly basis. He has a paralysis on one side which has affected his ability to swallow. As a result he got an infection from food pooling in the throat area and dropped significant weight. Up until 2 months ago he was eating small portions of food but can no longer swallow. He now has a feeding tube that was inserted aprox. 2/3 weeks ago. Time is a blur at the moment. His ENT doctor told him today that it's unlikely he will never be able to eat regular foods. My concern is his mental state in getting over this possibilty. My dad told me that if he cant eat regular food what's the point of living. How do I respond? especially when I'm reading that people survive regularly with a feeding tube. It's possible he's tired but I want to be supportive of his decisions.