At any age, a person can develop all kinds of different sores in their mouth. I do suggest you get it checked out but wait until its been there for 2 weeks. Most sores will disappear within that time.

Most small family doctor practices are not familiar with mouth issues. If you make an appointment, normally they will ask how long the sore has been there before you are scheduled. You should be going to an ENT, oral surgeon or dentist who does biopsies. Most small family doctor practices are not familiar with mouth issues.

I know you are worried, but it is best to wait the 2 weeks so the doctor is better able to determine what the problem is. Only thru a biopsy will they be able to tell you for sure if it is cancer. Experienced doctors can tell by looking at a sore if they suspect its something that will resolve itself.

Im one who tries not to look at statistics. My history shows that not everybody fits neatly into those numbers. Even though you do not fit the profile, cancer can happen. Im hoping it is not your diagnosis with this sore. Just make sure that with your examination that your doctor isnt just relying on your young age as their basis of determining what is wrong in your mouth.

Do yourself a favor and make not smoking a way of life! There are all kinds of bad chemicals in cigarettes which can cause alot of health issues. Congrats on your success with not smoking!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma