Dan,

I'm not sure where to start. First, for the really important thing. When he arrives home please pass on my thanks to your son for his willingness to serve.

No about these little medical problems you and I are having...

I've stated elsewhere that I think the attitude we take with us into this time is very important. It is natural to have to deal with the "poor me" side but I am glad to hear that you are now ready fight like hell (although I usually rely on the other side of things ;-) ).

My doctors also recommended surgery first and they made a very good case for it. (Not the least of which mentally I will know that most if not all of the cancer [which is the likely result] is gone). I think one of the most helpful things for me to remain in good spirits about this is that I now have a plan in place. Others have said that mentally atleast the most difficult time can be the period between diagnosis and when treatment begins. I now really understand that. Just having a treatment plan, even with the questions that remain, has lifted my spirits alot. I hope the same is true for you.

Since I will still be in recovery when you go in for your surgery I won't be able to lat you know how things went. I do expect them to go very well, for both of us.

I can promise you that you are in my prayers.

Peace,

Fr. Mike

Fr. Mike
SCC on the base of tongue, right side. T2 N1 M0. July 25, 2003 partial (40%) glossectomy, forearm flap reconstruction, right side neck disection.