Respected Sir/Madam.

My father is 61 yrs old. He had cancer in right lateral border of tongue (T1 lesion) and doctor has done wide glossectomy(T size: 1*1*0.9cm) on 15 March'11. Then in August right level 1 lymph node appeared, then doctor did right MND.
The report is as follows:

Clinical history: Wide glossectomy on [15.03.2011]
Now right level I lymph node.

specimen: Right MND.

Gross: Recieved Right MND specimen measuring 9*7*4 cms.
Level I: Salivary Gland is grossly unremarkable.
Eight lymph nodes are dissected, largest measures 1.5*1.4*1 cms. Cut surfaces is firm, whitish.

Level II to V: Eight lymph nodes are dissected, largest measuring 1.9*2*0.9 cms. Cut surface is firm.

Microscopy: Right MND:-(K/c/i wide glossectomy)
Level I: Salivary gland is unremarkable.
One out of 8 lymph nodes shows metastasis of squamous carcinoma with perinodal extension.

Level II to V: Eight negative nodes.

Impression: Right MND:-
Single metastatic node with perinodal extension.

After above surgery, he got 1 cycle of adjuvant chemo from 18th Sept to 21st Sept (5 Flurouracil 1200mg and cisplatin 120mg over 24 hrs infusion for 4 days). Doctor has recommended 2 cycles but he was not mentally and physically prepared for second cycle. Now here in lucknow (our hometown) doctor recommended radiations and they have now started on 19th Oct using Co-60 teletherapy for 30 days. He has much pain and hardness in submantle region in neck and difficulty in swallowing now he is also taking painkiller. He also has bad breath.

When ultrasound(HRSG) report came, it says that �A lobulated hypoechoic mass lesion with breakdown areas measuring 30*25mm is seen in submantle region. Both submandibular glens,carotid arteries, internal jugular veins are seen normally.�

Does it mean that cancer is spreading, or post surgery effect? Doctors are saying that they will wait and see the effects of radiation, then they will decide whether to give electron beam or surgery to cure the new swelled node. Please help me out. Is this proper treatment for him?